The Time is Now
The League of Women Voters (LWV) in Baltimore City received a $5,000.00 grant from Baltimore Votes to implement an in-person high school Voter Ambassador program entitled The Time Is Now. This Saturday program was a partnership between the LWV, Baltimore City College high school (BCC), and Mergenthaler Vocational Technical High School (Mervo).
During this program, high school students engaged in creative activities, where they received a thorough understanding of the local, state, and national election process. When the Voter Ambassador program ended, the high school participants educated their peers about forthcoming elections and encouraged their friends and classmates to register to vote.
The program is in the planning phase to expand to additional high schools in the City for 2023.
- Attend five (5) Saturday training sessions
- Location- the League of Women Voter's office ( 6600 York Road # 211)
- Time- 10:00 am until 1:00 pm
- Create voter registration activities at Baltimore City College and Mervo high schools
- Partner with student organizations to create voter registration campaigns
- Organize a massive Voter Registration Festival during the 2022 Spring semester
- Fall, 2021 – Recruited ten (10) Baltimore City College high school student volunteers to participate in the five (5) voter registration components. Three components were presented in October and two sessions were held in November. After completing the five (5) voter registration components, the Baltimore City College high school students are certified to register their peers to become voters.
- Spring, 2022 – Recruited ten (10) Mervo high school students who will participate in the Voter Ambassador program. The five (5) program components will take place at MerVo high school during March and April. After the completion of the five (5) voter registration components, the Mervo high school students will be certified to register their peers to become voters.
The Fall and Spring student incentives:
- Round trip bus passes to the League of Women Voters' office
- Five (5) Saturday free lunches
- Seventy-five (75) service-learning hours
- City of Baltimore Certificate of Recognition
- Voter ambassador award
- League of Women Voters' giveaways